Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Oh, Lamp!

You have to watch the commercial before reading what I have to say about it.



This is possibly the most brilliant commercial in the history of time.
The first time I saw it, years and years ago, I was pretty much in tears by the end. I was just on the verge of saying "I don't like this commercial," when that man walked in and told me I was crazy. And I busted up.
It was the perfect element for that moment in time, and that dude saved me probably a good ten minutes of crying over a sad, discarded lamp. I still think it's one of the funniest commercials ever made. (And I generally follow the rule that sad =/= funny.)
What's great is everybody else I've ever shown this to has the same reaction; as it goes on they all get more and more upset over the lamp. Everybody feels bad for that lamp. And then that man walks in and tells them they're crazy and it always gets a big laugh.
This commercial is manipulative, it fucks with your emotions and it's funny as hell.
And, really, it's a brilliant piece of filmmaking. I don't know who directed it, but I really hope they've moved on to feature films. Successful ones. They deserve it.

Be seeing you.
-Sally

No comments: