Thursday, September 23, 2010

Did You Just Kill A Guy With An Appetizer?

Speaking of obsessions Amanda decided a couple weeks ago that it was time for me to get addicted to Leverage.
For those of you who have never seen it, Leverage is a show about Timothy Hutton leading a team of criminals to help out good folks who have been screwed by the system and have no other options. Each episode is kind of like watching The Sting.
And if you haven't seen The Sting, you should. It's great.
Leverage is pretty great, too.
The thing that's weird, though is, when I started watching it, I was pretty certain Hardison (played by Aldis Hodge) was going to be the character who all of my affections were thrown toward. Hardison's the computer hacker, the smart guy, the one who's always ready with a funny comment, a snarky remark and a nerdy reference. I like Hardison. I like him a lot.
However, the more I watch the show, the more attention I pay to Eliot.
Now, if you were to ask me the type of guy I like or the type of TV character I'm fond of, my reaction would definitely not be "a bulky, good ol' boy type Texan." And that's exactly what Eliot (played by Christian Kane) is. So, why am I so enamored of Eliot?
Well, Eliot can do this:



We all know I'm not a fan of real life violence. But movie violence (the gory kind) and television violence (the fisticuffs kind) are two of my favorite things.
Heck, there's a reason I call Patrick McGoohan "My Punching Hero." There are very few episodes of The Prisoner where he didn't get into a fistfight. Hell, according to legend, the guy turned down the role of James Bond more than once because James Bond uses too many gadgets and doesn't hit people nearly enough!
That's right kids. James Bond isn't manly enough to be Patrick McGoohan.
I don't know what the point of this entry is. I was just thinking about how much I like Leverage, and how much ass Eliot kicks, and how much I enjoy fistfights on television.
But I wonder where I draw the line because I still won't watch Walker Texas Ranger, no matter how many bad guys he punches. Chuck Norris is unacceptable but Christian Kane is A-okay? Who decided that?
You know all those rumors about Chuck Norris? (For instance, he's so fast he can run around the planet and punch himself in the back of the head?) They're all true except for one thing; he can be defeated.
The only thing that can defeat Chuck Norris is Patrick McGoohan.
And the only reason Patrick McGoohan died was so he'd have a grave to spin in when The Prisoner remake aired.

Be seeing you.
-Sally

No comments: