Monday, February 21, 2011

My Smooching Hero?

It's pretty well known that Patrick McGoohan wasn't comfortable playing romantic scenes in movies and television. He turned down the role of James Bond (twice!) in part because he wasn't comfortable with all the sex, and rumor has it that during a scene in The Chimes Of Big Ben when Numbers Six and Eight are walking with their arms around each other so Number Two won't suspect them of planning an escape, standing in for Number Eight was McGoohan's daughter in a wig. (I don't know if that one's true but I heard it somewhere once and therefore it belongs on the internet. I also heard once that one of the other reasons he turned down James Bond was because Bond used too many guns and gadgets and didn't punch people enough. I really hope that one's true.)
However, back in the day when he wasn't famous enough to be morally opposed to things, Patrick McGoohan did some scenes that, given his reputation, I was pretty surprised to see on Youtube.
There was a damn-near rape scene in High Tide At Noon (seriously, I didn't know they could get away with that sort of thing in movies in the '50s):



And at least two scenes of general swarthiness in The Gypsy And The Gentleman:





I can't tell what anybody's saying in those last two clips. The sound's kinda bad.
There's no real point to this post, I just found these videos and wanted to share them with the world.
Golly, I love that McGoohMan.

Be seeing you.
-Sally

3 comments:

Moor Larkin said...

Check him out a bit later in life, dallying with a Fraulein...... :-D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11417707@N04/4410588809/

Staples said...

My, but she was forward!
Thanks for the link! I hadn't seen that one before. What's it from?

Moor Larkin said...

"Brass Target" - one of those failed Seventies blockbusters featuring every star that needed a pay-check...:-D