Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My First Videoless Post

I'm not even going to share a link. There's no link to share. Something just really made me mad this morning, and I have to vent about it.
A person I'm Facebook friends with (who I don't know if I'd necessarily talk to outside of Facebook; she's mainly a friend of my dad's) posted yesterday that a thirteen year old friend of her daughter's committed suicide a few days ago. I didn't know the girl, but that is horrible and very, very sad news and I was about to sympathize with her.
Until she went on to say that the girl was obsessed with My Chemical Romance, the suicide was their fault, they promote suicide and they should be boycotted.
(Cue the Price Is Right losing horn.)
I cannot fucking believe people are still stupid enough to think things like that.
"A kid committed suicide; it was obviously the fault of the music she listened to and not, oh, I don't know, very deep and severe emotional problems that she didn't bother to turn to her friends or family to help her with."
What if the girl had been, like, a huge Taylor Swift fan? Nobody would blame Taylor Swift for the suicide. She's cute and blonde and sings country songs. My Chemical Romance has black hair and recorded an album about a guy dying of cancer (which is what I assume was being referenced when she said they "promote suicide"). They're goth pop, what do you expect them to write songs about?
All I'm saying is suicide exists in all music fandoms. I'm sure there are Taylor Swift fans who have killed themselves and the families of those victims probably praised Taylor Swift and played her at the funeral. No such sympathy for bands who dye their hair black.
Didn't blaming bands for suicides kind of die in the 1980s? Didn't everyone grow some fucking brain cells after that and realize that blaming the bands is the most motherfucking idiotic thing a person could do?
What band (besides Dethklok, but they're not real) actually wants their fans dead? None of them. Not one. Because, besides the obvious "If they had no fans, they'd have no career" point, it's been my experience that most bands really like their fans. Sure, they don't know them all personally or anything, but bands always seem to be really appreciative of the love and support their fans give them, and they seem to love being able to connect with however many people happen to love their music.
Earlier today the Facebook friend posted an "I was out of line" retraction, but only after Ivy basically told her off for being a goddamn idiot. (Ivy actually knows the singer from My Chemical Romance so her argument had a little extra weight than if I were to post "Hey, I barely know you, but you are wrong.") It's too late, though; I've lost a lot of respect for her.
I lose respect for anyone who refuses to see suicide as a product of very serious emotional problems and instead tries to shift the blame to the things the victim enjoyed.
I listen to My Chemical Romance and I haven't ever commited suicide. Not even once. I also watch a lot of slasher movies. And I have never brutally killed stupid bimbos in their underwear, even when they disturbed my grave on a full moon.
The fact that she even thought "it's the band's fault," let alone posted it for everyone to see, makes me think I should unfriend her.

No comments: