Sunday, February 24, 2013

Possibly The Best TV Theme Song Of The Past Decade



This song rocks!
The show itself is great, too. It kind of reminds me of Power Rangers in the sense that it's about a team of five people who fight monsters. But it's far sillier, funnier and more entertaining that Power Rangers was (even when I was a kid and at the peak of my Power Rangers fandom).
A few episodes were directed by Matt Chapman of Homestar Runner fame (as far as I know he also writes for the show, but maybe I made that up; he's definitely in a couple of the episodes, though) and the same sort of sense of humor that drove those cartoons drives this show.
Every episode has a fake commercial for a product that I feel like I would have seen advertised in the 1990s (when I was watching a lot of Saturday morning programming): fruit snacks that look like scabs, pine scented mustaches, terrifying ponies, et cetera; every episode also has bitchin' songs by The Aquabats, which makes sense since it's their show. (Doing Science! is a favorite; Burger Rain gets stuck in my head a lot.)
The Aquabats! Super Show! is also the first show I can think of with a group of heroes whose self proclaimed leader is someone I actually like. Unlike the Red Ranger (Power Rangers), Leonardo (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), Blossom (Powerpuff Girls), Commander Stargazer (Silverhawks), Captain America (The Avengers) and so on, who are all cocky jerks who I hate, The MC Bat Commander is so chipper, pompous, dumb and hilarious that I can't help but love him. (I actually have a bit of a crush on him which is strange because I figured if I was going to have a crush on any of them, it would have been Eaglebones.)
Every episode of the show also includes a cartoon which, if you pay attention to them throughout the season, become a brilliant mindscrew which makes me curious how they're going to even have a second season without just completely ignoring the first season.
Which, for this show, actually wouldn't bother me.
At any rate, I'm quite looking forward to season two. Like, will-probably-not-schedule-anything-to-do-when-there's-a-new-episode-airing looking forward to it. The only other shows I feel that way about are Bob's Burgers and Metalocalypse. Good job, The Aquabats! Super Show!
... I wish I still had that mixtape I made in high school with Play Doh on it; it's the only Aquabats song I've ever owned.

Be seeing you.
-Sally

No comments: