Thursday, January 26, 2012

There's A Guy Who's Been Awake Since The Second World War

The more I think about it, the more I realize I hate sleep.
First of all, I've always been a light sleeper. I'm ridiculously easy to wake up. What's the point of sleeping if you can't sleep well? That's complaint number one.
More than that, though, I've always kind of felt like it's a waste of time. Yes, I know sleep is necessary for one's body to rest and process everything it's been through since the last time it slept. It's a sort of regeneration thing. I understand that. But it takes too long and, other than the occasional odd dreams (which I do love) it's boring. "I'm going to lie down and close my eyes and ignore the world for several hours."
I feel like every minute spent asleep is a minute where I'm missing something. Yes, I have no life and yes, I'm always missing pretty much everything because of it. Although even if I did have a life and was always doing things, I can't be everywhere at once. That's another thing that's sad about life: no matter where you are, what you're doing and how much fun you're having, somewhere in the world there's something you're missing that is either more important or that you would be enjoying more.
And since that's already true, why should I have to make it worse by not only missing those things, but sleeping through opportunities to make up for the fact that I'm missing awesome things?!?
I need to train my body to not need sleep. Not entirely, I guess, but to only need, like, two hours of sleep a day. I would be okay with that. I've already got insomnia so I don't fall alseep 'til three (at the earliest) and I hate sleeping past nine. So that's six hours on an ideal night. I could get by on six hours of sleep every day, although six hours seems like a really long time.
Seriously. If someone locked you in a room with nothing but a bed and said they'd let you out again in six hours, you'd probably be mad.
That's kind of how I feel about sleeping.
Too bad I also hate being overtired. Basically, I can't win.

Be seeing you.
-Sally

No comments: