Saturday, October 12, 2013

A Letter I Recently Wrote To Disneyland

"According to internet rumors, Disneyland is going to overhaul Tomorrowland and redesign it to fit a Star Wars theme. Internet rumors are not necessarily always true but just in case this one is, I just wanted to write and say how disappointed I am.
Tomorrowland's current Jules Verne-inspired theme is both futuristic and timeless, and feels as magical as the rest of Disneyland. It's original, it's downright cool and it was really nice to see the most tinkered-with land in the park finally find an identity.
I love Tomorrowland. I have absolutely no interest in visiting ALongTimeAgoInAGalaxyFarFarAwayland.
I understand that the Disney company just acquired the rights to Star Wars but that is no excuse to retheme a land around it. Nothing about Star Wars is original or magical to me. Star Wars is pervasive, Star Wars is everywhere; going to Disneyland and finding Star Wars is not only disappointing, it's boring. Why should I bother going to Disneyland if all I'm going to find is something as ordinary and omnipresent as Star Wars?
I implore you not to go through with the changes. If you want to rearrange some rides and decongest the entrance to the land, that is wonderful. But don't retheme the area. There's no reason to take a beautiful section of your park and turn it into blatant product placement.
Sincerely,"
me

No comments: