Thursday, December 20, 2012

Heartfelt Stuff In Case The World Ends

I mostly don't believe the world is going to end tomorrow. I mostly believe it's just time for the ancient Mayans to buy a new calendar (maybe one of adorable puppies or stills from Twilight?). But I do have to admit that there is a part of me that does buy it when there is some sort of doomsday prophecy. So, in case it is true and the world ends tomorrow (at 5 AM, apparently, but what time zone?) I just wanted to make a list of things I love.

- my family (Mommy, Dad, Bill, Brad, Andy, Nikki, Mokey, Izzy, Zoe, Patty, Tanya, Danielle, Shannon, Ricky, Pam, Robert, Daniel, Grandma, Grandpa... I've never understood families who aren't close)
- my friends (Lauren, Amanda, Ivan, Jenny, Dan, Shelby, Joanna, Rebekah, Kristin, Mike, Noreen, a bunch of other people; I feel kinda bad naming names since I know that guarantees I'll leave people out. The people I did list were the first who came to mind and are my absolute closest, dearest friends without whom I don't know what I'd do)
- my pets (Oscar, Bodie, Tarkus, Flansy, Myow-Myow, Zot, Cruiser, Killer, Trouble, Jaws 2, Reggie The Goldfish, Reggie The Other Goldfish; I love and loved you all. Life without pets is pointless)
- The Simpsons (shaped my life more than any television show should ever shape any person's life)
- The Prisoner (some people wear "What Would Jesus Do?" bracelets but I want one that says "What Would Number Six Do?" I joke about his punching and shouting and power eyebrow, but I take that show far more seriously than most people realize. Number Six really is my hero)
- They Might Be Giants
- Gogol Bordello
- the work of Shirley Jackson (Shirley Jackson is my other hero. If I were the type of person who got portrait tattoos, I would get portraits of her and Patrick McGoohan and I am not kidding one bit)
- horror movies (just in general; I've had plenty of obsessions in my life but none has been so consistent, persistent, constant as horror movies and really just horror in general)
- Disneyland (and Disney movies)
- food (it goes so far beyond just a need for sustenance and it's not any of that snooty "foodie" crap. I will try anything at least once and I enjoy all levels of food, from pretentiously fancy to barely edible)
- Beanworld (the most fascinating, inspiring comic book a person could hope to read)
- the music of Mike Patton (that man's voice, oh my god)
- the holiday season (from October through December, the best time of the year)

It's so frustrating because I'm being so vague and I know there's more. There's so much more.
I feel like my worldview has mutated in just the past few months. Not in a bad way, I'm just looking at everything differently than I always had before. I've gained a lot of new understandings and new ways of looking at things but on the other hand there are a lot of things I've become far less tolerant of.
Right now I wish I was having a pot of classy English tea (with milk and no sugar) and calling everyone I know and telling them how much I love them.
I used to be terrified of the apocalypse but not right now. I think if the world does end at five in the morning, I wouldn't mind. At least I'd sleep through it.

Be seeing you. Probably.
-Sally

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a neat post. I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner. I'm glad the world didn't end because that gave me the chance to read it.
Love, proffy

Staples said...

Thanks! I'm glad the world didn't end, too, for a bunch of reasons.
I love you!

Anonymous said...

love you too!