Saturday, March 19, 2011

Number Six Is Eighty Three

Or he would be, if he were still alive.
I had a hard time finding Youtube videos that felt like proper tributes, but I settled on a few.
First of all, a clip from an episode of Danger Man I watched just last night. I chose this one for two reasons. First of all, because I've been referring to him for years as "My Punching Hero" and this demonstrates why. Secondly, because this scene made me laugh out loud when I was watching the episode.



Second is bits of an interview or something about Lew Grade. Don't watch this one if you've never seen The Prisoner. I'm not kidding even a little. It spoils the ending. (The rest of the interview is neat, though, so I'm posting it. It's my blog, damn it!)



And, finally, ten minutes of various movie and television clips (which I haven't actually watched yet, it just sounded like fun).



If anybody knows where I can get a copy of the BBC Sunday Night Play episode "The Prisoner," (not the Danger Man episode "The Prisoner" nor the seventeen-episode my-favorite-television-series-ever The Prisoner ... I swear, it was like he was a prisoner of the title The Prisoner) I would be ever so grateful.
(Tangible copies are best; I prefer to have things on VHS and DVD. Things aren't real if I can't touch them. Downloads make my heart sad.)
Oh, and also I'd like to post a quote from an interview with Patrick McGoohan from The Official Prisoner Companion. The quote is an explanation on what the pennyfarthing symbol stood for, a paragraph which struck such a chord with me back when I was sixteen that I decided to get a tattoo of the pennyfarthing:

"We live in an era where science is advancing so quickly, you don't even have time to learn about the last innovations before something new arises; making what you've learned obsolete. It's the same with the newspapers. They're so busy cranking out information that before you get a chance to digest it, they're cramming something else down your throat! Everything is moving very fast, possibly too fast ... before its time."

Happy birthday Patrick McGoohan!!! You are, and forever will be, my hero (punching optional).

Be seeing you.
-Sally

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS0lIUKSnr8