Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Ramble Probably A Lot Of Other People Have Written About A Movie That Nobody Cares About Anymore

I just saw about thirty seconds of the movie Shallow Hal on television. Shallow Hal is a movie I never saw when it came out because it looked atrocious (and it still does), but it's old enough now that nobody thinks about it anymore unless they run across it on television.
The bit I saw was Gwyneth Paltrow saying "I've had boys that were friends but never boyfriends. I'm never going to be beautiful. And I'm okay with that."
First of all, Gwyneth Paltrow isn't my type but it really rings false to see her saying "I'm never going to be beautiful." I don't care that the whole premise of the movie is that Jack Black sees her as Gwyneth Paltrow and the rest of the world sees her as Gwyneth-Paltrow-in-a-fat-suit. At the end of the days when they filmed scenes of her fat-suit-self, she still got to take the damn thing off and go back to being Gwyneth Paltrow and giving her kids funny celebirty's-kids'-names and being in movies where Robert Downey Jr. is in love with her. Most of us don't get to do that.
The point is, the one line of dialogue I caught before I had to change the channel stabbed me right in the gut. I could say those words verbatim and they'd actually be true coming from me. I'm getting a little watery-eyed just thinking them. (Especially since it took a good twenty years or so for me to be able to tack on the "I'm okay with that" part.)
'Cause here's the thing: I guess the point of Shallow Hal was supposed to be "Love People For Who They Are, Not What They Look Like" (which is going to ring false coming from any Hollywood movie, regardless of how sensitively they handle the subject matter) but it comes across as "Ugly People Will Only Find Love If Someone Is Cursed To Only See People's Inner Beauty." That's really harsh. It's even worse when you consider how many people (myself included) see themselves as ugly. The movie's basically just telling people with low self image to give up.
It's taken me most of my life to realize that the me I see is not the me everybody else sees; I'm not hideous, as I've led myself to believe (proof: other people can look at me without cringing). At worst I'm nondescript or average. And so is everybody else.
Basically what I'm saying is, one's own self image is usually pretty mean and you shouldn't listen to it if it's being an asshole. And you shouldn't listen to stupid Jack Black movies either. I certainly shouldn't have.
Everyone who was involved in the production of Shallow Hal loses fifty points for being associated with that fuckwad of a shitmovie.

Be seeing you.
-Sally

No comments: