Tuesday, December 6, 2011

This Post Contains A Curse Word I Love But Rarely Say Because It Really Offends A Lot Of People

Holy mother of everything that is right with the world, I hate this commercial:



Now let me tell you why:
Because the shallow, materialistic cunt who won't shut up is supposed to be the protagonist here. We, the audience, are supposed to find her outburst charming, cute or even relateable. Because apparently Christmas is about getting what you want, not appreciating the fact that you have friends and family who love you enough to give you anything at all.
I love Christmas. I love the season, the decorations, the food that always seems to come with the season, and I love both giving and receiving presents. I tend to give presents without consulting people's wish lists because I'd rather put some thought into the gifts and give people things that I either find or make with them in mind. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I fail, but it comes from a place of caring.
Conversely, I don't care what I get for Christmas. It's always nice to get stuff from a wish list, but the only gift I can think of that I wouldn't appreciate is poison. Heck, just a card is enough. It's kind of the point of Christmas, isn't is? Showing your family and friends that you love and appreciate them by graciously exchanging gifts or sending cards or spending time together?
Obviously this bitch cares more about getting new clothes than she cares about her family or the Christmas season.
Therefore, the only way this commercial would be any good would be if it was extended to show this same family on Christmas morning, with everybody happily exchanging presents, with the exception of Materialistic Outburst Girl, because her family put all the gifts intended for her up for sale on Ebay as soon as she finished her little solo.

Be seeing you.
-Sally

No comments: