Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The End Of A Collection

When I was about sixteen I started collecting Everything Mike Patton Had Ever Done.
I'm not just talking, like, Faith No More and Mr. Bungle albums, I'm talking everything. Some obscure noise album where he's on one track? You can sure bet I'd buy it (then listen to the one track once and then put it on the shelf and never touch it again). Some albums took me years to track down (at least one of which I ended up having to order from an Italian website that I couldn't read) and a lot of those weren't necessarily worth it. But I didn't mind; it drove me crazy knowing that there were Mike Patton songs I'd never heard and keeping the collection going eased that frustration.
But, as time goes on, tastes change. I'm still a Mike Patton fan, certainly, but not quite to the extent I once was. It's been a few years since I really made an effort to add anything to the collection (sure, I bought Peeping Tom and Mondo Cane the moment they were available, but it's been a great long while since I tried to track down something obscure because he performed on one song). I got lazy and, though I was actually caught up at one point, the man kept making music and doing guest spots on albums and I've fallen way behind.
And I'm finally ready to admit I'm okay with that.
The point of this ramble is, I'm taking a trip to Chicago next week and, being unemployed, I need all the extra cash I can get. And, even though it pains me a little (we're talking years of time and effort), I'm going to sell a good chunk of the collection to Amoeba. (Probably. There's always the chance they won't take stuff but, consarn it, I'm going to try at least.)
The only thing that really bothers me is I know I won't get back as much money as I spent on these albums. But maybe it's a good thing.
It's like a cleansing experience. I hope.
Why bring this all up? Because I want to have a comprehensive list of what I once had. So I give you now...

The Large Portion Of My Mike Patton Collection That I'm Selling So I Can Go On A Trip

-- A Bookshelf On Top Of The Sky: 12 Stories About John Zorn (documentary)
-- Angelica 1997
-- Blood Rooted by Sepultura; tracks Mine and Lookaway
-- Burner by Odd Nosdam; tracks 11th Ave Freakout Pt. 1 and 11th Ave Freakout Pt. 2
-- Charlie by Melt Banana; track Area 877 (Phoenix mix)
-- Down With The Scene by Kid 606; track Secrets 4 Sale
-- Elegy by John Zorn
-- Live At The Brixton Academy by Faith No More
-- Fear No Love by Bob Ostertag; tracks The Man In The Blue Slip and Not Your Girl
-- 50 (6) by Hemophiliac
-- 50 (12) by Painkiller
-- Getting To Know You: An Introduction To Ipecac Recordings (Rock A Rolla Magazine promo CD); track Not Alone "Dan The Automator Redux" (Peeping Tom)
-- Great Jewish Music: Burt Bacharach; track She's Gone Away
-- Great Jewish Music: Marc Bolan; track Chariot Choogle (Fantomas)
-- Great Jewish Music: Serge Gainsbourg; track Ford Mustang
-- Great Phone Calls; track Music Of The Night
-- Hemophiliac (limited edition two disc album)
-- I Am Legend (he was the voice of the monsters)
-- IAO: Music In Sacred Light by John Zorn; track Leviathan
-- Judgment Night: Music From The Motion Picture; track Another Body Murdered (Faith No More and Boo Yaa Tribe)
-- Love God by Milk Cult; track Relax And Sleep
-- Medulla by Bjork; tracks Pleasure Is All Mine and Where Is The Line
-- Memory Is An Elephant by Tin Hat Trio; secret track (everyone seems to think it's called Infinito, but I'm not convinced)
-- Moonchild: Songs Without Words by John Zorn
-- Music Romance Volume Two: Taboo And Exile by John Zorn; track Bulls-Eye
-- Pranzo Oltranzista by Mike Patton
-- Quero Saber by Carla Hassett; track Julia
-- Rise Above: 24 Black Flag Songs To Benefit The West Memphis Three; track Six Pack
-- Roots by Sepultura; track Lookaway
-- She by Maldoror
-- Six Litanies For Heliogabalus by John Zorn
-- Song Drapes by Jerry Hunt; track Song Drape 7 "I Come"
-- The Big Gundown: John Zorn Plays The Music Of Ennio Morricone; track The Ballad Of Hank McCain (vocal)
-- The Crybaby by The Melvins; track G.I. Joe
-- The Darkness (X Box 360 game)
-- The Gift by John Zorn; track Bridge To The Beyond
-- The Long Vein Of The Law by Subtle; track The Long Voice Of The Law
-- The Stone: Issue One
-- The Unknown Masada by John Zorn; track Zemaraim (Fantomas)
-- Trademark Of Quality (Warner Bros. promo CD); track Raping Your Mind (Mr. Bungle)
-- Tribus by Sepultura; track The Waste
-- Trouble by Jamie Saft Trio; track Ballad Of A Thin Man
-- Virginal Co Ordinates by Eyvind Kang
-- Voices In The Wilderness by John Zorn; track Kochot
-- Wamego Strikes Back (documentary)
-- Weird Little Boy
-- White People by Handsome Boy Modeling School; track Are You Down With It?

Be seeing you.
-Sally

No comments: