Thursday, April 7, 2011

Stupid Mouse. (Oh, Shut Up, It's Not The Mouse's Fault!)

Movies-wise I'm pretty hard to scare. That's not cockiness, it's just a fact. Even if I'm scared in the moment, as soon as the movie's over the fear goes away.
Right now I am awake after maybe four hours of sleep. My mouse was causing loud, metallic pounding on his cage that felt like it was right by my head. I'm a light sleeper, always have been, but general nighttime mousiness is something my brain has trained itself to ignore.
Not tonight (or, rather, this morning), though.
Insidious got me, people. It's all I dreamed about and, when that damn metallic pounding woke me up, I laid in bed for half an hour, too afraid to open my eyes. Logically I knew it was the mouse, but why did it sound like it was coming from right next to my head?!
So my mind was filled with images from the movie, conveniently inserted into my own life for my fear convenience.
What's funny was one of my dreams was me telling someone that Joe Bishara, who plays one of the (for lack of a better word) monsters in the movie (and wrote the music!), is a nice guy in life. Which is true. I've met him a few times and I like him quite a lot. I'm not sure why I haven't tried friending him on Facebook, actually.
But that doesn't matter. It doesn't matter one bit. I am up at six thirty in the morning because Insidious scared me. A lot.
Even after I saw The Collector and The Strangers (the last two movies I remember really scaring me) I still got a full night's sleep with unmemorable dreams (or, at least, no dreams where the logic part of my brain tried to calm down the scared part of my brain with talk of what actors are like as people).
I even watched an episode of Danger Man before going to sleep last night (and debated watching a second, but I really was tired) to distract me. Maybe I should've watched that second one after all. Don't know if it would've helped, but at least I'd have only gotten three hours of sleep.
Wait ... No, that's not helpful.
I don't know. I don't know what I'm saying. I really, really liked Insidious. I loved it, in fact. James Wan is an amazing director, Leigh Whannell is a great writer (and his American accent is getting better). And I am up at six thirty, talking up a movie to epic proportions, practically guaranteeing that anybody who reads this and then sees Insidious will be bitterly disappointed.
Which is the opposite of my intentions. I want people to go see it and love it and be just as scared as I am.
It's worth it.

Be seeing you.
-Sally

No comments: