Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I Have A New Theory About The Brontosaurus, And It Is Mine.

No, wait, not the brontosaurus. The Prisoner.
And for all I know it's an old theory that is someone else's, but I'd never heard it until I thought of it in the shower. So I'll just claim it's mine and worry about copyright infringement later.
My theory is in regards to The Schizoid Man:

Curtis is John Drake.

See, here's my reasoning:
1) He looks exactly like Number Six and Patrick McGoohan is on the record saying that Number Six is not John Drake, they just happen to look alike.
2) Drake had a lot of aliases on Danger Man; why shouldn't Curtis be one of them?
3) The whole business with his wife / girlfriend / fiance / female-companion-of-some-sort Susan is pretty easily explained, too. On Danger Man, John Drake never fools around with the scads of women who are pretty much throwing themselves at him. Which makes sense because he's an honorable gentleman and wouldn't take advantage. Especially if he was otherwise involved. We never really see his personal life on the show so it's not a stretch to imagine he did have a ladyfriend. He always says "No" when asked if he's married, but that could be a lie, to protect her or something. I wouldn't put it past him. (SPOILER: And when we find out she's dead, that's not terribly difficult to imagine either. It actually helps a bit with my fourth piece of reasoning.)
4) THIS ONE IS SPOILERY. I HAVE GIVEN YOU FAIR WARNING. At the end, when Curtis freaks out and Rover kills him is very un-John-Drakey. How do I explain that one? Easily. You see, Drake was more like Number Six than he acted / let on. He took the impersonation job as a favor to a friend, having no idea what the friend had become or that he was working for The Village. It's implied that all governments have a hand in The Village (that's how I see it, anyway) and when Drake takes the impersonation job and discovers not only that The Village exists but that he's been working for people who work for it (if he's anything like me, he'd notice the similarities between The Village and Colony 3), he becomes disillusioned (more disillusioned than he probably already was; there are episodes of Danger Man where he seems pretty fed up with his superiors). The more time he spends "being" Number Six, the more he sees Six's point of view and is rooting for the guy. Drake wants out of his own situation but, realizing resignation would wind him up in The Village permanently (just like his doppelganger) he decides to make the ultimate sacrifice, pretends to lose his cool and commits suicide by Rover. (The fact that Susan was dead and that nobody was waiting for him back home made this an easier choice to make.) Drake was also coolguy enough to realize that his own death would give Number Six a chance to escape. Too bad he didn't bother to tell him about Susan first.
So that is my theory and it is mine.
I think I'll go post it on the Wild Mass Guessing page of TV Tropes. (Yes, I do read and occasionally contribute to TV Tropes. Ain't nobody said I wasn't a nerd.)

Be seeing you.
-Sally

2 comments:

Moor Larkin said...

If Curtis was killed how come he was under that monkey mask at the end?

Staples said...

Well, The Village does have some that un-killing machine (as seen used on Number Two at the beginning of Fall Out). They must've un-killed and brainwashed Curtis. Sounds like something they'd do. ;-)