Monday, February 20, 2012

The Devil's Carnidull

It's no secret I'm a huge fan of Repo! The Genetic Opera. It was one of the few movies that I hyped myself up for to a ridiculous degree that not only met my expectations, but shoved my expectations into a mud puddle as it stormed past.
What I'm saying is, Repo! is fucking brilliant. If you get the chance, you should watch it. (Just don't go see it in a theater with a shadowcast; it's demeaning to the movie and yourself.)
Recently it was announced that Repo! creator and lyricist Terrance Zdunich was reteaming with Repo! director Darren Lynn Bousman to make another musical, a (so I've heard) fifty five minute carnival from Hell picture called The Devil's Carnival.
I really, really want to be excited for this movie. I'm trying very hard. One of my favorite directors, one of the Repo! creators, a fucked up carnival theme, a color scheme similar to those of Repo! and House Of 1000 Corpses, several of the same cast members as Repo! ... I should be stoked!
But so far all I've seen of the movie are this:



which is a decent teaser, but nothing to get too worked up about (I also notice the absence of the name Darren Smith. For those who don't know, Darren Smith was the other co-creator of Repo! The Genetic Opera. Based on what I've heard, he wrote the music and Terrance wrote the lyrics. Maybe it's the lack of Darren's music that's keeping Devil's Carnival uninteresting to me); and this:



which is completely boring and tells me nothing other than "some broad has a nice ass." Who fucking cares? Is that really supposed to sell this movie? Repo! was full of chicks with nice asses, but they didn't use that to attract an audience. This does not bode well.
I don't know. I'm actually really sad that nothing I've seen related to The Devil's Carnival (other than the names of the people involved who also worked on Repo!) has made me at all interested.
It's really tough to want to want to see a movie, but to not actually want to see the movie. Especially when you're a fan of the director and the writer. (And the writer is an acquaintance of yours who you happen to like very much as a human being and whose work you want to support.)
It'll probably be fine in the end. It'll hopefully be an awesome movie and maybe it's a good thing they're keeping my expectations so low.
Or maybe that upcoming official trailer promised at the end of the short teaser will make up for all the lack of enthusiasm I have right now.
Maybe that trailer will live up to this one:



Fuck yes! I already know I love that movie (I've seen it an uncountable number of times) and that preview still makes me completely excited to watch it, like it's something brand new.

Be seeing you.
-Sally

No comments: